Sunday, October 16, 2011

Fitting it all in & keeping my priorities - PRIORITY!

When I look at the things I am doing in life, my number #1 goal is to always be doing what God would want me to do. For example, as I am currently pursuing a degree, I have to manage my time so that my kids are not neglected & pushed to the side.

It's true, I can work at home, because I am a stay - at - home mommy. However, I will admit that during the summer when I set the goal to make my business boom...my kids got a little whiny and fussy in the a.m. - because I was on the computer too long or too often. When I saw that my kids were responding this way, I knew I was no longer doing what God would want me to do. How did I know this?

I always come back to the question: WHY AM I A Stay-At-Home MOM?

To be with my kids, play with them, read to them, and manage my home. When I am not doing these things...then I'm not fulfilling my role as a stay-at-home mom. See, I'm at home to be with my kids...not them be in front of the t.v. and me be on my computer. They'd be better off in preschool, all day/morning get attention and learning & me 'working' OUT in the workplace...right?

I say all that to support my claims of the importance of transparency. On another note, I am also a child of God...before I'm a mom/wife. And looking at my life this summer, I really felt a conviction on my heart that I needing to devote more of my time to serving God! And while I want to be doing 'something' while I'm in this full-time stay-home season, I decided to chase my original goal (from 3 yrs. ago) to go back to school...at a Bible college - more for personal goals & personal development for ministry later.

So school added something to my plate...in addition to my BB biz...and in the midst of all of it, I had a strong desire to serve at my church. And since this desire was from God, I didn't have to go out and sign up for the first need...in fact, I got the call to be a MOPS table leader. (The phone call actually came 20 min. after a conversation I had w/ God as I did dishes...it went something like this: "God in all these things I am doing (school & BB), I really have to find a way to stay connected to Christian women/moms in the same season of staying home as I". No joke, those were my words exactly. And 20 min. after saying that, our MOPS coordinator called me to invite me to be a table leader. WOW! Right on time!)

My participation in all of these activities take time-management. Staying on task. Focusing on my priority of being a MOM & WIFE first. I devote my days to what needs attention. How do I do this all? I don't know really. I don't want to sound cliche & say, "God's strength & grace"...but I'm pretty sure that's the only way!

Here's what my week looks like:

Mondays: I try to catch up on chores/laundry or errands & fit in playtime/storytime w/ the boys. I do this by either going to the park, a picnic there...or in the backyard. Swing w/ them, play on the slide w/ them (help Jakey down)...chase them, race them...pick pomegranates off the tree, find the source of ants, look for frogs, etc. Or we even do a chore outside 'together'.

Tuesdays: Check emails, weight tracking for my 100 day battle folks. Then lunch w/ boys...clean up a room together (go thru toys, clothes) - something with them. Sometimes the park for lunch. Daniel gets dropped off at school in the afternoon and when I get home - Jake naps...and that's when I do a big chunk my reading for school. (I also fit reading in from 5-5:30 a.m. daily, before my workout at 5:45/6 a.m.)

Wednesdays: This is the day I help a relative w/ their mail/bills/filing. My boys get to spend this hour or so w/ their Nana. Then when I'm done, we're off to run errands. I try to fit a visit to the Bookstore or a park if they need a breather from the carseats. Then we're home in time for Jacob's nap (have to stay consisten w/ that). This couple hours w/ Jacob sleeping, we are gearing toward 'homework-practice' time for Daniel and fitting in a chore (like mopping while the little one is out of the way).

Thursdays: This is MOPS time. Usually 2X month we get to see our MOPS friends. After that...we fit in errands/chiro visit. And if there's no MOPS this week...and we haven't been out to the park yet, for the week - we make to the park. And then I get those 2 1/2 hrs. in the p.m. to read while Daniel is at school & Jakey is sleeping.

Fridays: This is my stay home, catch up on it all kind-of day! Or, make it to the Bike Path...or something out of the ordinary for the boys!

Weekends are reserved for time w/ DAD! However, from 5-6:30 a.m. on Saturday mornings, I devote to doing my reading tests, while everyone is asleep. Our workout is handled as soon as I am done.

Alot of my stuff, I do when they are sleeping. All that means is that I have to be productive, on task, and off the computer during the rest of the day! :)

So as I am always saying, 'stay accountable', 'stay transparent' - and this is my way of doing it! I know that my first goal is to serve the Lord. Then be the best mom and wife I can...then pursue my dreams.

For me, I have to be working on some personal goals for myself...otherwise, I get depressed, in a funk...and it makes all the things 'I have to do' feel like a burden. But because my husband supports my pursuits...and I fit it in to time slots that don't rip off my kids/husband - and all things around the house are managed - Istay in a great mood and my family benefits!

No comments:

Post a Comment