Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The Jar of Kids' Food

Loving the response I am getting from my friends on FB from this. And I appreciate the evaluation of 'food choices' for my kids that I am receiving.

However, the main point of the video originally was for me to get an idea of why it is so hard for me to drop a pound or two when I feel like I'm trying my best. I found that I wasn't quite eating the # of calories I was counting. I was counting MY meals...but not the bites I take here and there of my kids' food. For example, I haven't been counting the calories in the chickey-nuggets I eat when: I test if they're too hot, the bite I take as I clean up their plate, and the last bite on the cookie sheet that I take so that I can wash it.

This is a typical day of how I take 'mindless bites' of food, not necessarily a typical day of my kids' meals. This is obviously why I am not dropping the weight I feel I should be with the intense workouts I do.

However, as a response to some of the comments from some fb friends, I thought I would explain a little about the food choices in my jar & for my kids, just in case you are concerned for their health. :)

  • All foods were cooked at home, while many receive similar foods from drive-thrus, deep fried. (see the following...)
  • Most kids do eat this stuff DAILY. And they eat it from McDs as the chicken nugget kids meal: 6 pc. chkn nugget: 280 cals. & small fry: 230 cals. for a total of 510 cals. (before you add the Hi-C drink). My chicky-nugget home version total: 270 cals. (just btw). Use this as a meal at home as an alternative for your Micky-Ds kids!
  • My kids don't like potatoes anyways (mashed, fries, baked, period). Just trying them on 'em again to see if they will even start to eat potatoes...Potatoes (baked) aren't bad and have vit. C in them, did you know that?
  • My 4 yr. old will not break 33 lbs. and I am constantly catching flack on how skinny he is...adding fat to his diet is an interesting task when he doesn't like red meat, can't eat cheeses, and you can only have so much egg yolk. And the overall goal is to eat healthy & he's a typical, picky-eater 4 yr. old. (I am open to suggestions always...)
  • I cannot serve noodles daily - their fave food, which they had spaghetti the night before. (And we don't do Kraft Mac & Cheese, actually because of the color they add. I make a home version w/out the cheese.)
  • The baby doesn't eat beans. (BTW, I am honestly preparing 3 meals on a typical night.)
  • And the jar did not contain the healthy items I served them throughout the day: cauliflower, honeydew melon, bell peppers (that they actually filled up on at dinner), peaches, and spinach (on the sandwich). (Why would I want to stuff those healthy foods in my mouth?)
I do appreciate the concern over what I feed the kids from a couple of viewers. I am open to a list of foods that are healthy and have more variety that will help my 4 yr. old gain a couple of pounds.
(Side Note: Being the open/honest person I am...I will share an observation: I now realize the reason many avoid being transparent in general is because of the scrutiny they will receive. This is why I continue to be transparent in things. People need to be freed up & educated at the same time. This is a whole other topic on another day.)

For those of you wondering what my response is re: and missed the video I posted last night...here it is.

 

Don't feel bad if these are what you eat daily...many do. The goal is to make the healthiest choice as often as possible. People don't plan accordingly. People can't always afford the best foods, 100% of the time. Do your best as often as possible...and soon, the weight will drop. That's my main point! Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Wow Jen, that is a great visual of the extras. Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete