Friday, April 6, 2012

My 11 yr. old friend says: People need to make peace!

Yesterday, I was so ministered to by an eleven year old. She was precious. I got to watch a friend's two daughters yesterday and I was so blessed by them.

As she told me 'her story'...she went on to tell me that 'I want to stay positive, live for God and be a peacemaker.... just make peace, ya know'. An eleven year old?!?!!!!


The world needs more PEACEMAKERS.

Today in the Word, I was reading in Romans 14...and verse 17 reads:
...for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.

v. 18-19: For he who in this way serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another.

I always love how verses like this lead you back, directly to Jesus' teachings.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God" - Matthew 5:9

We are reminded in scripture that 'they will know us by our fruits'...My eleven year old friend equated 'peacemakers' with 'followers of Christ'. Loved it.

When we truly follow Christ & his teachings,
we will be peacemakers.

  • Be peacemakers for your own life. Don't nag on your spouse, your kids...speak life over them and pray for the patience to do so. In your families, respect one another, be positive, not critical. Be supportive and loving, not forceful and controlling.
  • Be peacemakers in others' lives. I do this by trying to never really take sides, no matter where my loyalty falls because THERE ARE 2 SIDES TO EVERY STORY. I realize where there is conflict, boundaries have been crossed by one person or both. And I serve as a sounding board and then try to be a peacemaker by planting seeds of what could be done on 'this' side to bring peace with 'that' side.

Here's what Jesus says....Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, leave your offering there...and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come present your offering. - Matthew 5:24

Dictionary.com says that reconcile means:
1. to win over to friendliness; cause to become amicable: to reconcile hostile persons. 
2. to compose or settle (a quarrel, dispute, etc.).

For peace to be made people need to take responsibility for their actions of crossing boundaries and hurting the other person. Then be truly, sincerely apologetic. And they show their sincerity by: NEVER DOING IT AGAIN.

Make peace with others by being truly sorry. So often people want to live in denial about the gravity of what they've done. Denying you've done anything wrong or hurtful will not make peace.

When we are humble enough to say "I really blowed it, I really hurt you...and I am so, so, so sorry, please forgive me"....then we can move toward more peace.

Holidays, weddings, and birthdays on the calendar...anything that brings family and friends together is a great catalyst for peacemaking to be pursued.

So take this eleven year olds advice:
Just go out and be a peacemaker so that you can make your family at peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment