Tuesday, May 7, 2013

I love MATH!

I am reminded that I love math this week. There is only one right answer, and there's a formula to use to find it. It's not subjective to the perspective of the person grading the math test. 2+2 = 4 and when x = 1, 4x + 8= 12...and then there are all the other geometry theorems and calculus logrithims (sp?) to give us even more challenges...yet, there is only one right answer.

You ever forewarn someone of something and ask them to pay careful attention to something, and then when the very thing you warn them, they disregard...and then it somehow negatively impacts you, how do you feel? Mad, angry, confused, frustrated.

Frustration that it could've been avoided.

Business minus Follow-Up = Failing Customer Service
Business plus Follow-Up = Happy Clients and Referrals

Again, I love math.

I have been a loner much of my life. I don't really like people interfering with 'my' success. When I was a realtor, I went crazy since my commission check was dependent on the pest control, the roofing co., a lender, an escrow officer, and the seller's. All these people made up a team for the escrow to close and everyone to get paid. If someone didn't do their job, my car payment was late! I hated that part, my success of closings dependent on others. My paycheck dependent on others.

Frustrated those years of commission-only real estate work.
Frustrated because I truly cannot control others.

I can control how I let my emotions affect me. And if you know me, I am a very emotional person. Although, I'm not usually one to get mad. Call me names, don't like me, my kids...whatever, it's your loss. But, become the roadblock of me reaching a goal???? My blood pressure goes up just thinking about it.

I see an opportunity to do subtraction here. Or better yet, extraction. I need to extract that controlling perfectionism that drives my mind to exhaustion.

My husband. My wonderful husband, told me of the story of FedEx (check for validity). The story goes something about the guy who started it. He turned in a paper in his class on a great business idea...The idea was of FedEx, the ability to OVERNIGHT. The teacher said it would never work. The guy ditches school and opens up FedEx! FedEx is a verb in our language....just like Google. We tell people, 'I'll fedex it to you'....not 'I will overnight ship it to you'.

People can help you. And sometimes people can get in the way.

Me? I'm a 'rules follower'. I love rules. That's why I love math. Interesting enough, I love to write to. But I have learned that I don't like rules for my writing....only for math. Yet, I am met with a rule to 'follow the rules of formatting'....so I will.

What's more important, it comes down to me following my self-prescribed rule:
Always do your best, knowing that I nearly can do anything.
Because, with God, all things are possible.

So with that...I will put my nose back into the books...and add up the hours I will sit and type, and retype, and create, and recreate.

Hey, we only get one shot at this life...and when I am 80ish....I want to look back at my marriage, my boys, my career, and ministry and be able to say with satisfaction:
 
I truly did my very best!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment