Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hanging onto Life?

What part of this life are you hanging onto? Leisure, power, popularity, financial security? The rewards of success in this life on earth? Clinging to this life may cause us to forfeit the best that God has for us. True joy will come when we loosen our grip on earthly rewards and free our hearts to follow Christ. (My paraphrase of the commentary of these verses below in the Life Application Bible NASB.)

As I spent time in the Word today, I got stuck on the verse Psalms 63:3: God's lovingkindness is better than life. This verse reminded me that we need to hang onto Him tighter than we hang onto life. This led me to read Matthew 10:39:...he who loses his life for Jesus' sake will find it!

Sometimes I need a reality check to make sure that I am laying up my treasures in heaven. It is so easy to get caught up in keeping up w/ the Joneses, and pursue wordly success above heavenly success. Keeping a balanced perspective is a must for a believer. Having nice things can be great...just make sure that your personal relationship w/ the Lord is not ignored/neglected for the sake of chasing things.

This is for me. I realize that I am human and I love feeling successful. But I must first be successful at seeking God before I can enjoy my success on earth (Matthew 6:33).

No comments:

Post a Comment