Sunday, May 8, 2011

Celebrating Servanthood! Happy Mother's Day Moms...

In Matthew 20:26 Jesus said, "....whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant and whoever wishes to be first among you shall be your slave, just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve and give His life as a ransom for many".

Jesus is the greatest example of servitude, servanthood, and putting others first. As a mom, this is the tlife. My aunt (who never had kids) will come over and just watch. From time to time, she says, "Why don't you sit down and rest?" "Don't you ever sit down?" I do. When I eat or check my email. Or when I sit down to color w/ the kids, read, etc. But to just sit down for the sake of 'giving my feet a rest', what's that? That's what Nikes are for, right? :)

Is there really time to just sit down? Not really, there are clothes to wash, dry, fold, putaway. Dishes to wash, dry, putaway. Mirrors, toilets, tubs, floors, bed sheets to be cleaned/washed. Nooks & crannies to declutter. There are groceries and household items to purchase, money to be budgeted, checkbooks to be balanced, patios to sweep, toys to pick up...and really the list goes on and on.

Why? To serve and provide for my family's needs. To serve. Today is Mother's day, "Momma's Day Off"....Yet at 7:30 a.m. I was mopping today. What is rest? What is a total/complete day off?

(I say that, but don't receive that I'm a matyr against rest all together, for the Lord declares to have a Sabbath/Rest day...I'm speaking more in the direction of being a worker of the home daily to provide for our home (just as our husbands are workers in the workplace daily to provide for us). Rest/Sabbath day: yes! Day-to-day laziness: no!)

There's no idleness in the life of the Proverbs 31 wife, right? Read that passage. It's a great reminder of what to shoot for. As I just read over it, I circled the things I need to work on. It's good to be a hardworker, to be kind/good to your husband, to remember the poor/needy...verse 27: She looks well to the ways of her household. I have the word 'order' resinating in my mind.


I live for God's kingdom and the way His economy works is when I serve and put others first, thru my servanthood to my family, I shall be first. That's not my motvation by any means, but I never have an unmet need or want usually. My husbands is so generous and gives and gives because I give. It's a great cycle of selflessness. As soon as you drop the greedy/selfish/self-serving/self-centered way of life, give, and pour your life out for others, all that you could ask for is abundantly provided. (Ephesians 3:20 - that's how it operates for us...).

I get so much peace and pleasure in seeing my boys cared for & having fun. It makes all the serving it worth it!

Have a great Mother's Day moms...spend this special day with the ones that make is so special! As for me, I'm going to wrestle in the floor w/ my boys, chase them around the yard...and put them first!

No comments:

Post a Comment