Monday, May 9, 2011

Baby Steps or Giant Leaps

How do you reach your goals? By baby steps or giant leaps?

My husband and I recently bought a house. The idea had been discussed for nearly a year. The decision to do so in a night. We took a giant leap toward the goal of moving out of our neighborhood and across town.

Last fall I took baby steps toward a goal. The first goal was to lose the last 10 lbs. of baby weight. So I made the decision to go to a Turbo Kick training in Laguna Hills. This deadline to get fit and lose weight was just what I needed to push myself to lose those 10 lbs. and reach my primary goal. Receiving the certification to actually teach a Turbo Kick class gave me a new goal to consider. It made me think & consider whether or not I wanted to be a group exercise fitness instructor. Never had considered it before in my life. But all of the sudden it was an option. And it would be instructing the most fun workout I had ever done in my life - Turbo! But I wasn't sure. I still some steps to go. I had to learn the workout, know the routine by the music, remember each move...and then be able to confidently lead a group through a round of Turbo Kick. (A little intimidating, right?)

Fast forward a few months, I'm a Beachbody Coach (which that was a giant leap I made in a day, something I had considered before, but with the right, fresh business-minded approach I was given, I knew I had to leap out & do it!) Now that I'm a Beachbody Coach, I am starving to be around goal-oriented, fitness-minded people. And what a better place to meet them than the gym, right?

So with incentive of a free family membership, the passion to get out of my momma-cave and meet like-minded people, I said, "I should be a fitness instructor - I should go for it". So the last 2 weeks, I really paid attention to the sequence of the workout...and completed it, to the music (no aid from a dvd), and nearly have the cueing down.

So what is the next baby steps to take? Fill out the application for the position, deliver it & wait for a call back. Thinking about it gives me butterflies. Not sure why. But, I know that once I hand that app over, I am going to work out harder, count my calories more accurately, and be so excited on the inside that I took the last steps IN MY CONTROL to be a fitness instructor. Even if they never called me back, I feel successful! I completed my list of baby steps in becoming a fitness instructor. Perhaps, completion = success...for me!

What's great is I will drop off the application and then leave it in God's hands. If I get the position as a group X instructor, I will have yet a couple other baby steps: get CPR certified & my AFAA group exercise certification. But that's the easy part. I can pass a couple more tests, right?

See, reaching goals and having success in our lives doesn't have to be these huge monumental moments printed on the front page of a newspaper. It's consistently taking baby steps or giant leaps...depending on your time, resources, or faith. It's making your mind up that you're going to do something, figuring out what it takes to get there, then checking each step off a list with persistence. My list is nearly checked off to be a fitness instructor. First thing this Monday morning, I completed the application. This afternoon, I am dropping it off. It really can be that easy.

Need some assistance with setting some goals? Coming up with an action plan to reach them? Email me at jennifermorin@beachbodycoach.com - I would love to help you! Take the first baby step of reaching out and I'll help you take a leap!

No comments:

Post a Comment