Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Exercise is only 20% - but it's key!

I've heard it said over and over and over again: Diet is 80%, exercise is 20% of losing weight. I talk a lot about losing weight thru diet and food choices. I can be a broken record sometimes on it, so I thought I would talk about exercise and highlight somethings to really zero in on to fully maximize your weight loss efforts.

  1. EXERCISE. Seems like the obvious, right? But how many try to lose weight withOUT exercising? Just start moving. Figure out what you really like to do & do it. If you enjoy your workouts, you'll do them. (How often have you seen people at the gym, w/ frowns, on a machine, not even into it? No intensity? Yea, don't do that.) Find a class, a program, or something you can't wait to do the next day. I found what I like and that's how I lost my weight and keep the weight off!
  2. SET GOALS. Most know the story of my husband (http://www.thislittlepiggywenttothegym.com/). His goal was to lose weight, not be a 400+ lb. man, and not die young. My goals have always been little increments of weight. For example, when I was 159 lbs. (after my 2nd born son), I said, "I'm going to get down to 155"...then it was 149, then I said, "I can get down to 145". And when I reach that I said, "If I work out a little harder, kick up the intensity, I can get under 140". Now I'm about 134.
  3. CHANGE IT UP. I know I said, find what you like...but you still have to change it up. If you like the treadmill. Go from walking to jog...then jogging to running...then sprints w/ jogging. Then try to tackle 5 mi. then 10 mi. Like the stairclimber...turn up the intensity, increase the level, increase the speed.
  4. USE WEIGHTS. This may take a little homework or you asking someone to help, but you gotta have resistance training. (If you're a woman, resistance training helps prevent osteoperosis.) Weight-lifting/resistance training revs up the metabolism, builds muscle, and gives you that toned, defined look. It's a win-win!
These are just some things to get you started. After you've lost those initial pounds, go thru the list and re-apply them. Somehow, some way, we easily steer off course. Reminding ourselves of some of the basics, helps us get back on track.

A couple of observations I recently made and my husband and I have talked about, that may help if you consider. You've heard it said, 'get a workout buddy'. And that's great if you find someone who has the same schedule as you, but that can be difficult. But here's the thing: don't make your weight loss success dependent on that person showing up. How often do things come up & your 'workout partner' flakes out or gets sick? Then how easy is it for you to miss when they've called in advance and told you they won't be there? Don't put your success in someone else's hand. If you need accountability, get someone to hold you accountable. Find someone to text your weight to every Monday. Find someone to call you and check in with you. But don't make your attendance to the gym or your workout dependent on someone else showing up. Get yourself there and workout to your fullest potential - when you clock out from work, drive straight to the gym. Have you gym bag in the car & just get yourself there. Or set your alarm, drag yourself out of bed and get yourself there. Turn on that dvd. Whatever you do, just get yourself dressed & show up. Then apply the tips above. Heck, use me as accountability. Beware though, I'm a little diehard and can come across as a drill sergeant sometimes, so you may get results if you ask me!!!!

All this to say, if you have weight loss goals. Don't depend 100% on dieting....get yourself moving & grooving at least 3-5 times a week for 30-60 minutes each time & you will lose!

Benefits of exercise:
  1. Metabolism boost
  2. Encourages body to burn calories
  3. Revs up your heart & lungs to work at maximum capacity
  4. Healthier bones
  5. Increased stamina & energy
  6. Lowered risk of heart disease
  7. Overall improved health
  8. Body transforms & leans out
  9. Improved self-esteem/lessens stress
EXERCISE - it will change your body...it will change your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment