Thursday, May 26, 2011

Losing Weight isn't hard - it just takes some PREPAREDNESS!

I've been reflecting over what I've shared with you since I've started this blog. A lot about exercise, I've offered workout solutions, programs. I've talked a lot about food, measuring food out, avoiding 'killer-foods', but one thing I haven't pounded into your heads is the serious need to 'BE PREPARED'.

And maybe it was my one day this week that I was totally unprepared that made me realize this: a lot of people aren't losing weight because they have (multiple) days like this one.

Here is what my unprepared day looked like.
  1. I woke up late since I had tea the day before at 4ish p.m. & could not go to sleep at 9 p.m.
  2. I had a list of errands to run, but needed to fit in my 55 min. workout. And I had a meeting that night. Needless to say my time was OVERCOMMITTED.
  3. I got on the computer before I ate breakfast.
  4. Did not eat enough to begin my day.
  5. Packed a very lite lunch to take with me.
  6. Made my kids their own single cheesy quesadilla to go.
  7. Ran my errands.
  8. Visited a little longer here & there than planned.
  9. Cleaned my house (while my boys napped) upon arrival at home (later than I planned).
  10. Went to my Fit Club meeting that eve - hungry.
Where's the 'sabotaging unpreparedness' your asking?
  • I didn't eat breakfast when I woke up (I could at least drink my shake, right?)
  • I didn't eat enough before or after my long workout.
  • I overcommitted my time, should've spread my errands out over the next couple days.
  • I packed my kids' too much food that I'm not supposed to eat.
  • I did not pack enough fruit or healthy snacks for ME on the go.
  • I ate their leftover quesadilla as I drove home from all my errands.
  • I didn't fix a healthy dinner for myself, while they were napping, instead I cleaned.
  • And to top it all off, I ate their leftover home-baked chicky nuggets once I got home from my meeting.
  • Long story short: I did not enough at the onset of the day & was famished, so I ate what was in front of me...my kids' food!
There you have it folks. I am normal. I do slip up. I do not bat 100% - 100% of the time. But do you see the things I should've done differently?
 
So in order to be prepared for a successful EATING day, here's what I need to do:
  1. No caffeine in the late afternoon. Ever. It doesn't set me up for success for the next day.
  2. Wake up early, eat upon rising. (I made sure to have my shake first thing today, even before my coffee).
  3. Eat enough before my workouts.
  4. Eat a filling lunch, include a nice portion of protein to fill me up.
  5. Have my fruit, healthy snacks (a bag of baby carrots) nearby at all times.
  6. Make sure I drink a ton of water on the go & at home.
  7. Plan a filling, lean dinner.
  8. Eat more veggies w/ lunch and dinner.
  9. And don't make TOO MUCH food for the kids. (That's my struggle already....)
I am big on saying that there is "Power in Transparency" (maybe I should write a book w/ that title...hmmm, don't steal it okay?) But no really. The irony is, on Tuesday, before I ate all that food that's on my 'do not eat' list, I reached out to someone, who is where I want to be, for accountability. Then, isn't it Murphy's Law that I eat the foods I advise others not to eat?

Here's the next thing that I did, that was GREAT actually: Wednesday morning, I said - "It's a new day"...just because I made a couple bad choices the day before, I refused to get all down, depressed, & discouraged (in fact all those emotions can make you want to eat more/worse, right?). I just sucked it up -started my day off with a positive mindset - did my intense workout - AND controlled what I ate better. (Did not want to report to my accountability partner of another slip-up, right?) The result: down 1 lb. in 4 days.

THE MORAL OF THE STORY: Set yourself for success with enough sleep, eating healthy food regulary, and don't overcommit your time to run yourself ragged...only to leave you time-deprived & famished!

Notice I italicized 'EAT' above. If you are eating healthy foods, regularly (being sure to AVOID hunger pains), then you're less likely to binge eat the foods that are full of fat & in the 'no-fly zone'!

Be prepared! Need some tips on being more prepared on what foods to stock your fridge, pantry with, email me: jennifermorin@beachbodycoach.com

No comments:

Post a Comment