Monday, May 30, 2011

What does your day look like?

I was thinking about life yesterday, as I watched my family outside playing in the mud. And I thought to myself, "how do I do what I do now, when a year ago I had way less commitments?" Then I thought, 'wow, 2 years ago, I had 1 less child and was overwhelmed then'. What has changed?

The first year or two of life with Daniel, my first son, I was unorganized. I had no goals written out. Never used a to-do list, was always feeling like I was behind with chores. And this was before I was ever on FB. I hated feeling frazzled. Then a light bulb went on, 'why not use a to-do list like you did when you worked?' That was the problem...the 10 years prior to having a child, I used lists. My lists had lists, but staying home was such a culture shock I lost sight of things that worked. So immediately, I implemented a daily list of things I HAD to get done that day!

Then comes my second son, and life...well, it got harder again, it seemed. When Jacob was 5 months old, I was told of this Beachbody coaching opportunity, I signed up, then canceled, afraid that I could not handle it. Oh, if would've just hung on for a minute then, how much farther along I would be...errrrrr. Ever feel like you missed an opportunity? I felt like that for a few months following...I could hear Cher singin'....'if I could turn back time'...But I can't.

Fast forward to now. What does my day look? I have things to do...but I don't appear 'soooooooo stressed out'...(Unless of course I drink too much coffee in the a.m. Then my heart is racing in my chest, and it can get pretty ugly.)

But here's how my days seem to go:
I get up as early as I physically can. Some mornings 5:30 a.m., some may be 6 a.m. This is my chunk of time for the computer (FB, blog, BB stuff). Trying to remove the image of 'mom at the computer' from children's memory. Then in the Word before they wake up...or even after. (I'll admit, missed a lot of devotional time in the beginning with Daniel, but I've realized 'apart of Jesus, I can do nothing'.)

Upon my kids' rising, I feed them & myself, dress them, do the needed asthma stuff, get their teeth brushed...and then it's on like donkey kong.

Then, I blast my Turbo workout and burn a ton of calories (and any pent up stress) while my kids play together and amuse themselves. I will admit I have to pause my workouts for a diaper change or to check on them, but I don't think those quick interruptions are really interfering with my results.

Once I'm done working out, it's shower for me, snack for the kids and errands time. Or on some days, time for the park, play outside. I've learned that because of my 'task-oriented' nature, it is best for my kids for us to get OUT of the house. We'll do lunch wherever we are, most times I pack a lunch to go for us.

Nap-time comes....Somewhere along the way, Jacob falls asleep, and I try to devote this time to reading to Daniel, flashcards, painting, and fun stuff for just him. Some days, it's me racing the clock to fold some laundry, clean some restrooms, or mop floors...and a couple minutes to check my email stuff.

Afternoon arrives and by now, we're outside playing. Or if we didn't get out of the house in the a.m., we run for some last minute groceries.

By 4 p.m. my attention is focused to prepare dinner. This is engrained in my head. My kids are hungry by 5 p.m. and my husband is ready to eat around 6ish. So to avoid melt-downs, I am ready to feed them when the the hunger pains strike!

This is key. A lot of families I've learned recently, eat out for dinner most nights a week. I eat out when on the run & stuck away from house when we get hungry, but hardly, hardly ever dinner...any day of the week. Not condemning you for eating out, but for many of you who know that my husband lost 200+ lbs. - this I believe is why he's been so successful: WE EAT AT HOME/HOME-COOKED MEALS 99% OF THE TIME!

After dinner, the kids are outside playing while I clean up the kitchen.

Then it's nightime routine of asthma meds, baths, teeth brushed, and to bed. If I'm wide awake when everyone else is sleepy, this is when I've been taking time for some FB time and some googling (like 'children and bad dreams', 'pre-k material', 'boost metabolism', etc.) But this week, I decided, I really want to finish my 'life-changing' book, so I'm going to bed at 9 p.m., when everyone else does, and then reading until my eyes are too heavy to keep open.

THIS IS KEY HERE: During the evening or right before bed, I write out my list of to-do's for the next day. I take note on calls I have to make, errands I have to run (included is the list of things for purchase @ what stores), chores I need to do, and usually toward the bottom I have '4 p.m.: Make dinner' there. This helps me know that I have to get it all done by a certain time, I have to be home by 4 p.m. in order for my family's dinner to be ready when they are hungry.

It's my list that keeps me organized. Just like a written out budget keeps my money organized and devoted to where it needs to go, a list of to-dos keeps my time organized & devoted to where it needs to go.

Two years ago, I made a 'Goals Board' for our family...and we reached some of those. In December of 2010, I made a new goals board and I have it hung in my office, over my computer...and I look at it daily. This keeps me mindful of where I want to go, which keeps me focused on where I want my time to go too. This helps tremendously when making my list of to-dos.

What I do around my home isn't heart surgery, and it doesn't take a degree in 'rocket science' to figure out. However, if I want to be successful at home and manage our lives with meaning, I've got to be a great 'life manager'. I've got to be responsible with my time, my money, and my loved ones.  
MY KIDS ARE PRIORITY - I HOPE MY LIFE REFLECTS THAT IN THE END!


It's only because I chart out where my time is going to go that I can do all that I do in one day. Waking up before my family and falling asleep after them is what gives me the extra time to pursue my dreams and manage my Beachbody business, all while devoting time to them when they are demanding it! :)

I think it's John C. Maxwell that my husband has forever quoted around our house, 'In order to be more, you have to become more'... and in my mind, 'in order to be more, I have to do more'. But how would I do that without my 'handy-dandy' notebook of lists????

So this week, I challenge you: sit down and make a list of goals you want to reach by the end of the year (set some to complete by the end of your life). Make them realistic, achievable, measureable goals. And then, put 1 thing on your calendar - daily - to do to get you there. It can be as simple as 'Read 5 pgs. in my life-changing book'. 'Get transcripts from junior college to go to the 4 yr. university', 'fill out job application', 'exercise for 20 min.', 'call a relative I haven't spoken to for...too long'. When you start making time (by managing it) to reach your goals, you don't have to feel this giant pressure of 'achieving something huge'...you just have to show up daily with your list of telling your time where to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment