Saturday, July 16, 2011

In the weight-loss rut? Here's some help!

I've heard it said over and over and over again: Diet is 80%, exercise is 20% of losing weight. I talk a lot about losing weight thru diet and food choices. I can be a broken record sometimes on it, so I thought I would talk about exercise and highlight somethings to really zero in on to fully maximize your weight loss efforts.

  1. EXERCISE. Seems like the obvious, right? But how many try to lose weight withOUT exercising? Just start moving. Figure out what you really like to do & do it. If you enjoy your workouts, you'll do them. (How often have you seen people at the gym, w/ frowns, on a machine, not even into it? No intensity? Yea, don't do that.) Find a class, a program, or something you can't wait to do the next day. I found what I like and that's how I lost my weight and keep the weight off!
  2. SET GOALS. Most know the story of my husband (http://www.thislittlepiggywenttothegym.com/). His goal was to lose weight, not be a 400+ lb. man, and not die young. My goals have always been little increments of weight. For example, when I was 159 lbs. (after my 2nd born son), I said, "I'm going to get down to 155"...then it was 149, then I said, "I can get down to 145". And when I reach that I said, "If I work out a little harder, kick up the intensity, I can get under 140". Now I'm about 131, starting my 5th week of Insanity on Monday.
  3. CHANGE IT UP. I know I said, find what you like...but you still have to change it up. If you like the treadmill. Go from walking to jog...then jogging to running...then sprints w/ jogging. Then try to tackle 5 mi. then 10 mi. Like the stairclimber...turn up the intensity, increase the level, increase the speed.
  4. USE WEIGHTS. This may take a little homework or you asking someone to help, but you gotta have resistance training. (If you're a woman, resistance training helps prevent osteoperosis.) Weight-lifting/resistance training revs up the metabolism, builds muscle, and gives you that toned, defined look. It's a win-win!
These are just some things to get you started. After you've lost those initial pounds, go thru the list and re-apply them. Somehow, some way, we easily steer off course. Reminding ourselves of some of the basics, helps us get back on track.

STAY TUNED - WORKING ON OFFERING MY READERS A FIT CLUB HERE LOCALLY IN BAKERSFIELD. SHOOTING FOR A BEGINNERS & ADVANCED. Message me on FB so that I can begin a group so that you stay posted on the date, time, and location!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment