Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Do your kids get enough exercise?

Look who was up early to work out! Amazing boy I have. Yesterday, he got up at 5:45 a.m., got himself dressed, fixed his water bottle & was ready to work out. And he did it again today! (Voluntarily w/ enthusiasm!)

I'm realizing that my attitude toward exercise totally affects my kids' attitude. Last time I worked out when the baby (19 mos. old) was awake, he was trying to jump and swing his arms.

My kids only know me as someone who works out. I started my Turbo Jam routine before Daniel was even 1. And picked back up with the routine a month & 1/2 after Jacob was born.

Kids absorb everything, right?
They absorb healthy habits too!

Daniel is the soda patrol for sure. When Dave decided to give up the occasional soda, Daniel was quick to rat me out, hence I no longer drink them. (I didn't drink them all day, every day...just on those days I wanted something sweet, but no calories...especially when the central valley heat set in...they were refreshing. Great justification, right?) I can proudly say that my kids have NEVER had soda. I love that, they willingly drink water all the time!!!!

When driving around town, Daniel is quick to point out the smokers in their cars and says, "Look mom, they're smoking - yuck, that's not good for them, right?".

It's no secret that my son will blurt out that 'doughnuts are junk'...Why? Because when he's seen other kids with that sugary/fat laden stuff & asked for it, I told him, "No son, that's junk & it's not good for you".

I am devestated that people continually feed their kids the fast food fries,
and let them have sweets daily.


How many things in this picture
do you and/or your kids eat????
Last week, a sweet parent gave out 'goody' bags at school. It had a bag of CHIPS, a COOKIE, 2 Dum Dum SUCKERS, SMARTIES, fruit chewy snacks, & a granola bar. I grabbed the bag as soon as I could to inspect it, I took out the candy a.s.a.p., Daniel had grabbed the chip bag & managed to open it (130 calories & saturated fat galore). And of course this interfered with his appetite for dinner.

The fruit chewy snacks are really candy in disguise, you know this right? He managed to get to the cookie & ate half of it after dinner. But I tossed the other half when he wasn't looking. Crazy enough, he forgot about it too...because that's not a mainstay in his diet.

No wonder 33% of our children are obese in America!

It is NOT OKAY for kids to eat junk food like this regularly. Unfortunately, many eat it for multiple meals/snacks per day. When they are putting this junk in their bellies, there is no room for the good stuff like fruits & veggies. When they eat salty food regularly, veggies don't seem appealing unless smothered in cheese or butter.

For some kids, their butter and cheese intake needs to be watched because they're on the border of being overweight. Some kids, like Daniel, need some extra calories because they run off everything they eat.

So what does your diet look like? What does your activity level look like? Good? Healthy? Or sedentary?

Your kids' activity level and diet probably looks like yours...Are you setting them up for childhood obesity, diabetes, and heart disease risks? Or teaching them that healthy food & exercise leads to a healthy body?



Do your family a favor -
get healthy & active...and they will follow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment