Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Recent Low Cal Finds

Hey Folks, just thought I would share a few things I found recently to add to your grocery list that fit in the budget & the calorie limits.
  1. Nature's Own 40 calories/slice Bread - found this at Super Walmart. I've seen it a couple times at one, and a few stocked on the shelf at another...and none at a third. I hope this isn't a hit or miss item, but I definitely look for it when I'm at one. Otherwise, I get the Nature's Own Wheat - 50 calories per slice. There's not HGCS in this one either! Price: $1.98-$2.65/loaf. I also get the regular wheat one at Winco $2.65/loaf.
  2. Newman's Own Lowfat Sesame Ginger Salad Dressing - This gives salad a new tangy taste. Only 35 calories per 2 Tbsp. And you know momma is measuring it out. The beauty of this one is that you can have 4 Tbsp./qtr. cup of dressing for only 70 calories. $2.18-$2.78 @ Winco.
  3. Salad sprays - just realized there is HFCS in it, but if you want to drop weight, a few sprays on your salad will get you by w/ just 10 calories for 10 sprays.
  4. Dannon Nonfat/Plain Yogurt - Only 100 calories per cup. A cup is a hefty snack & filling...swear by it as a substitute for ice cream. $2.58 @ Super Walmart.
  5. Sweet Mini-Peppers - Great for snacking, salads, veggie platters, soaked in low-cal balsamic/italian dressing & BBQed...3 for 35 calories. 3 lbs. for $3.78-$4.78 @ Winco & Costco.
  6. Low-Fat Ground Turkey - Found the 99% fat free @ Super Walmart $4.74/lb. Only 120 calories per 4 oz. Easy way to have a lower calorie burger (w/ the thin sandwich slice/thin buns).
And one place I am frequently visiting, now that it's a neighbor - Fresh & Easy. Always finding smokin' deals there on turkey patties, apples, veggies. Made some great eggplant parmesan w/ some that was on sale last week. Make sure you check that clearance aisle out as often as you can!

Just thought I would pass on what we're eating on around here. And FYI - every Tuesday is a new ad. There is almost always someone who has boneless skinless or bone-in chicken breast on sale. Last week Vallarta had their boneless/skinless for $1.49/lb. (I stocked up!) This week Smart & Final has their bone-in for 99cents/lb. and they're are on the list to visit this week.

You can eat healthy on a budget!!!! Just make a list, check your ads & go to the deals. I saved $25 by driving across town for that chicken last week. I'll spend $3.00 to save $22, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment