Saturday, November 12, 2011

Loneliness - Thoughts and Ideas

In a world of over 6 billion people, is there any room to be lonely? We have neighbors, roommates, spouses, relatives, children, parents, extended family, Facebook friends, BFFs...how can one be lonely?

Perhaps there are two sides...mulitple takes on this question of:


How can a person be surrounded
by so many people w/ love, yet be so lonely?
  1. Person never lets anyone in, in fear of being hurt & rejected. Learned lesson well many years ago.
  2. Person lacks deep friendships and keeps everything superficial & 'surfacey'. (Is that a word?)
  3. Person lacks relationship w/ their Creator and so suffers.
  4. Person lacks love for self and allows their relationships to suffer.
  5. Person was abandoned as a baby, went thru the system and is tired of being rejected.
  6. Person was ridiculed throughout school 'by friends' and learned not to let people in.
  7. Person is eccentric and easily amuses others, but no one can go to that next level with 'em.
  8. Everyone is too busy.
  9. People don't really want to go deep because of the time factor.
  10. People don't really want to go deep because they are unwilling because of their own insecurities.
  11. People don't see the 'lonely' in the midst of the crowd.
I find it interesting that when you start talking to people, they seem lonely these days. And how when you offer time and an ear, they unload on you...much needed for them for sure. In a world where we are connected & overwhelmed w/ cell phones, iphones, texting, emails, FB, tweets...people are still lonely.

I think that too many people are keeping their friendships on social media. In fact, for many, their true BFF is 'MAC'. Couples spend more time looking at their monitor than their spouse. Mommies are more concerned with what other moms are doing with their kids, as their own tug at their leg.

I think we need to get back to old school stuff like potlucks, phone calls, cards in the mail, lunches together (and not the lunches postponed 5 weeks because of 'busyness').

In thinking about technology, with the opportunities at our fingertips, I think so many are so busy trying to make it rich thru the computer. As they chase down Mr. Franklins...their relationships are dying/neglected as a result of their pursuits.

I don't know. I'm old fashioned and I'm observing the face of society change before my very eyes. And I'm digging my feet in the sand to not be dragged away with it.

As I type this, I smile at the irony that I'm expressing my thoughts thru a keyboard, at my computer, while my family sleeps. And I will share this thru FB & Twitter. I too must find balance as well.

But take heart...you are not the only one in this world who experiences loneliness. Just reach out to someone, dare to ask them if they ever suffer loneliness...and now you have a friend to turn to in those lonely moments...

No comments:

Post a Comment