Thursday, November 10, 2011

The man outside the store....

Yesterday I was blessed to meet a man, sitting on the sidewalk outside the grocery store. As he sat, sprawled out dirty, with his uneven shaven head - as our eyes met, the words freely blurted out of my mouth: "Are you hungry?"

He smiled a smile of only 4 teeth, front tops and bottoms missing...and said 'Yes'....so hopeful.

He did not have a sign, he did not ask....my heart was just burdened that this man could use something to eat.

So I asked him, "What do you like?" - Humbly, he said, "Anything..." So I told him that I had some shopping to do...and that if he waited, I'd be out w/ food for him in a bit.

We did our shopping for ourselves and along the way, I grabbed 4 bananas, a box of granola bars (hoping to provide a little breakfast/snack for today for him)...1/2 rotisserie chicken & a Pepsi!

(Yes, I know, Pepsis are bad...but when you live in poverty with no money, a Pepsi is like a treat, a wonderful, flavorful, carbonated delicacy of scrum-dum-delisciousness, right? Shoot, if I'm ever on the streets, I hope to get a Pepsi...I can find water out of a hose if I'm thirsty.)

Upon our exit of the store, he was awaiting our arrival with some food. We held what may have been his breakfast/lunch/dinner for the day. He was so grateful, thankful...and then he began sharing about his kids and life.  And just last week...his visit to the hospital.

He said that he had 2 heart attacks just last week. And showed me some open wounds on his leg. But in the midst of all his trials, he related himself to Job and went on to share about his faith in Jesus and his hope in heaven...knowing that here on Earth is just a short time compared to what we will have in the presence of our Lord. And I was relieved to know that if he had yet one more heart attack that completely took his life, he'd spend eternity in bliss.

I was reminded of when Jesus said, "what you do to the least of these, you have done unto Me". It was obvious in my heart that the man outside the store (Daniel of all names), was put in our path for God's provision for a meal. As Daniel had apparent faith and the joy of the Lord, despite his hardship...God provided for him yesterday...and maybe some granola bar & banana breakfast today.

Before moving out to NW Bakersfield, we lived on the Eastside! And east Bakersfield & downtown were part of our everyday lives. If you're familiar w/ these areas, there are homeless people everywhere, people wandering the parking lots to clean windows for money, and people on many corners with signs. I gave as often as I had it. And always let the guy at the downtown Smart & Final clean my windows.

Now living out in the NW, there are way less of these vagabonds and beggars. And I pray often that God will never my heart grow hard/cold to this needy population. Despite their lack of possible bad choices, addictions, criminal backgrounds, or just a rough life - God wants to extend His love to them in hopes of them turning their lives and hearts over to Him. "It's not God's will that any should perish"..."while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us"....and them!

May you be available to the Lord to use today. Keep your eyes and open to those who are ignored and neglected. It provides necessity to them, and spiritual growth for you.

Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment