Monday, January 16, 2012

Stuck in L.A. traffic...stuck with complaints!

So the other day, my husband, my near 5 yr. old, and I were stuck on the 405 in Los Angeles, CA. Folks in Bako, Rosedale Hwy. ain't traffic, okay?

But as we are stuck there...gridlock before the 101 off-ramp...my 'family' is falling apart over the traffic. Hey, it was 7:30/8 a.m. what did they expect? (Expectations, that's a whole other topic). But complaining, complaining, complaining. This was Daniel's first experience of being 'stuck in traffic'. (Yes, we will plan better and drive down the night before to avoid that next time.)

But as they were going on, and on, and on....I said, "Hey guys, why don't WE ;) turn our complaining into prayers?" "Daniel, let's pray that God will get us out of this traffic, okay?" And within 15 minutes, we were getting off the freeway. Our idling in the middle lane, turned into crawling, then merging over because our off ramp was coming up...and then, the freeway opened up so that we could safely get off the freeway.

Now, obviously, when you tell your child to pray for something that is so tangible, in the back of your faithless mind, you're telling God, 'oh man, I really hope you do this'...right? And at the same time, your faith-filled mind just knows that He will and so you pray w/ greater expectation. (There's that word again....)

On the way home tonight from class, I was reminded of this freeway illustration and the power behind my words:

WHY DON'T WE TURN OUR COMPLAINING
INTO PRAYERS!!!!

So what have you been complaining about?

Your spouse? Have you prayed for him/her lately...today?

Your finances? Have you prayed for more? Have you asked God to direct you on where to spend WHAT you have? Have you even submitted the little bit to HIM?

Your kids? Are you praying for them?

Your boss? Are you praying for him/her?

Your job? Are you praying and learning more to grow into a new position? Are you thanking God that you have one in this economy?

Your house? Are your eyes open to those on the cold streets? Are you praying for God to help you with your budget, or to provide for more so that you can have a nicer one? Are you asking God what your purpose is on your block, in your neighborhood is?

Your church? Are you lifting your leaders up in prayer, interceding for them, asking for God's intervention and direction in their personal lives?

Your parents? Are you praying for them? For their salvation? For their heart to be softened?

I am guilty too.

Complaining is like overeating,
it's so easy to do and we don't know when to stop.

But, here's your reminder...stop complaining and start praying. Jesus said to 'cast all your burdens on Him'...share it all. Complain to HIM, get it off your chest to Him. Then ask Him to give you spiritual eyes to see what needs to change in YOU...what is your role in all this dissatisfaction? See, when we go to the Lord w/ all our complaints and an open heart, He will take the burdens, He will show you what is in your life for you to grow, and He will give you light at the end of the tunnel for the things stifling you...usually with instruction on how to pray even deeper about that person/trial/thing that got you complaining in the first place.

God wants us to go to Him about everything. I go to God and apologize in advance..."I'm so sorry I feel this way...but God, I need to vent"...and once I do...and I am quiet to listen, my heart is softened or I have a renewed sense of direction to go.

We have to retrain the way we handle inconveniences.
We have to turn off the dripping faucet of whining and complaining,
and turn to the spring of Living Water.

Remind me of this next week when the docs drop the ball, or my kids have simultaneous meltdowns, my husband doesn't take the trash out, and I have an urgent errand with an empty tank of gas, right?

We all have ugly moments...but we need to handle them before they handle us! Our kids are watching and learning too. How we handle life will be how they handle life...and my goal is to have spiritually-leading young men. So with that....I'm off to pray...and praise the Lord for all His goodness!

Goodnight!


No comments:

Post a Comment