Friday, August 24, 2012

It's Friday & we're tired...but this is what we gotta do!

I did NOT want to get up early today. Yesterday, I couldn't sleep past 4:30 a.m....but today, I wanted to stay in bed until seven. However, I know for all the things I have in the works, prayer assignments, school, kids, marriage, walk with God, dreams, etc. - I have no time to ditch my devotional time. Too much on the table to tap out today!

As I sat at my desk....I was whining a little...and then I asked God, "what is wrong with me?" I was gently reminded that this was an emotionally draining week.
  • Daniel started Kindergarten.
  • Mom had some important doctor appointments for serious concerns.
  • I avoided 2 accidents in 1 day. The first would've been minor, the second one, major.
  • A new morning routine of get up, get going, get out of the house derailed my cleaning schedule.
  • And...it's official, my 2 year old is behaving like a 3 year old and fits are trying to fly off the charts.
CONCLUSION: Stress has left my body and mind tired. "But tomorrow is the weekend, NOT TODAY...so get up, get out of bed, and show up and do what YOU are supposed to do". (My pep talk with myself.)

This is why I default to the discipline of spending time with the Lord, no matter what. It's like oxygen for my soul. I cannot miss this time. As I sat transparently before Him...I journaled this:
 
“Lord, I am tired today. I am exhausted. My eyes are heavy, my body uncooperative. Help me crucify my flesh today.”
“Lord, I am anxious today. I hear of everyone doing exciting things that I’m not. This tugs at my attention and heart. But I am doing exciting things for You, that only You know about. My heart is overwhelmed, my mind is distracted. Help me crucify my flesh today.”
When we look around at others, what they have, what they are doing, where they are going, we can easily become discouraged. It seems as the old cliché “Don’t compare yourself to others” rings true from childhood to adulthood. But isn’t this what we do?
A phrase I whisper to myself to counteract those moments of comparison: “There is always someone who will have more than you….but there is always someone who has less than you, as well.” This rings true for each of us.
Honestly, these are days we struggle with envy, jealousy, and discontentment. This is when we have to sit down before God and let all our concerns flood our prayers. We have to tell God the things that are specifically distracting our attention and taking our eyes off our plow.
It’s easy to look over at your neighbor’s yard, home, driveway, kids and compare yourself to them. But realize friend, that God has a specific task for YOU. What He created you to do and who He created you to be is not the same as your neighbor. Let go of wanting what ‘they’ have, whoever ‘they’ are and embrace what God has given you. Have a thankful heart for what you do have, reminding yourself that you have more than many others.
This is the opportune time to CRUCIFY THE FLESH. Our flesh wants what others have. Discontentment, jealousy, envy…all symptoms of the flesh reigning. Take your wants off the throne and put Jesus Christ there. He is the spring from where all peace, joy, and contentment flow from.
Interesting that when our flesh is the weakest, it somehow has more power to thwart our plans that are dedicated to God. This is exactly why I pulled myself out of bed today. My flesh had to be corrected, taken out of the control tower. Had I stayed in bed and let it dictate to me what I was going to do, who knows what kind of flustered, frazzled, and frustrated day I would've had.
And now that I've got it all off my chest to the Lord...and my cup of hot coffee in me...I sit with peace and joy. Feeling triumphant before the day has even began.
We have to become disciplined people and do what is RIGHT and GOOD...no matter what we 'feel' like doing.
Get up, get in the Word, get into the presence of God and have a great, Holy-Spirit energized day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment