Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Handicap, Disability, Deaf, Blind, Autistic...whatever you call it, I see it as a blessing!

I know a little boy who is autistic. And I've seen many look down on him with sorrow and pity. I, on the otherhand, see it as a blessing. For he has been raised in a house of arguing, cussing, fighting, and anger...and while he is aware of what is going on, it doesn't seem to have a lasting affect on his emotions or behavior.

Yes, it is true, I do not have kids who have autism, or any thing of that sort, and yes, I know as a parent it is a challenge to have kids who have these struggles.

Yesterday, I took my boys to the park to enjoy the gorgeous sunshine. And there, two boys, brothers, both age 8 were there to share their sandbox toys.

After 15-20 minutes it was clear that they too were 'special'. And I don't say that in a degrading way at all. There was one who truly was in his own little world, riding his scooter, smiling, laughing...not like many kids do anymore these days. As I watched him interact with his world, I was a bit envious. Envious in that his interpretation of the world is not like mine. He doesn't see the brokenness of it, the corruption of it. His world is just as it is in that moment. Sun shining on his face, birds chirping high above, kids scattered on the playground. I thought to myself, what a blessing.

It's as though this 'defects' of neurological mix-ups, deafness, blindness, etc. are seen as near curses. In the moment of trying to communicating with kids who have these kinds of unique blessings, I'm sure for parents it can be discouraging, frustrating.

But from an outsider looking in, I find the silver lining.

Deaf kids...they see the world, but cannot hear it. They cannot hear the cussing at the park, the fighting in the kitchen, the crying of depression, the begging of the poor, the loud obscene music cruising through a parking lot. They are limited to only hear what their parents want them to hear. Imagine their imagination, how visual they are. I would definitely give my deaf child unlimited amounts of art supplies!

Blind kids....they can't see the world, but they do hear it. They cannot see the half naked girls at the park, on t.v. commercials and shows. They do not see the angry faces of disapproval and hate. And because they only can hear, how much more care do parents take to filter what they are around. There have been quite a few musical geniuses visually impaired, right?

The list goes on and on of the blessings that 'handicapped' kids have. Many times I have said of the little boy I mentioned, that it's God mercy to protect him from the volatile, unstable environment he lives in.

My point in all this is that while 'I don't know what it's like'...because I'm not, I can easily spot the good in it. These children have a unique filter from this corrupt, sex-crazed, materialistic, money-driven, dangerous world and society. So for me, raising two boys without any 'filters' is frightful in another way. Instead of fearing rejection for their filters....I fear peer pressure. They are not uniquely dependent on me so I pray they will remain nearby as young adults, instead of wondering if they will ever be independent.

Like most things I post about....it's all about perspective. I realize in the midst of it, finding out 'why my kid can't _____________' it can be painful. But I hope to remind parents of 'special' kids that their uniqueness truly is a blessing. I hope that you can find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment