Monday, February 25, 2013

I had no idea that I didn't know: THE FATHER'S LOVE


I participated in a Freedom Retreat on Saturday. This is part of a local ministry here in Bakersfield.

A-MAZING! I met the gentleman who offers these twice a year at Summit, as he was the instructor for my Personal Deliverance class. My intentions to go to the retreat were to ‘be better prepared to complete my final’. The focus of the ministry is to help people be set free from bondages from unforgiveness, habitual sins, curses, inner vows, poor self-image, and not know the ‘Father’s Love’, as well as a few others.

I had prayed the week before for God to use this time to bring up anything that had to be dealt with that I was missing. I have a pretty great relationship with the Lord, but ‘just in case there are some issues standing in the way, remove them’ I prayed. And God knows that I am adamant to have the best relationship with Him possible. I gave him free reign to pull up stuff that I had neglected, ignored, or I was oblivious to.

I dealt with some ‘offenses’. This translated into admitting the frustration I feel toward people who I seem to always offend. God revealed that while yes, I can be more sensitive, those I tend to ‘offend’ are they themselves broken. When people are insecure, broken, have negative self-image things I say that don’t even pertain to them, or at least my motive is making a general statement, these broken people grab onto what I say, and take it personal and either lash out at me or silently resent me. When they feel I am personally speaking to them, they immediately feel obliged to justify, prove me wrong, or get mad. Many times people’s reactions to me come out of left field and I am heartbroken for how I made them feel. And then, I become mad because I feel attacked. It’s a crazy cycle. God knows my heart. If I say general things that people take personal, well that may be a tale-tale sign they have some hurt that they need to deal with before God. I was such a verbally abused child, highly criticized student, bullied and picked on, I know that words hurt. I never intend to ever cut people down….ever. But if truth comes out of my mouth that pricks the skin, and in turn people get mad at me, I can’t take their anger at me personal. I truly need to pray for them, because their upset reaction is a sign that they need healing and freedom themselves. Now, my goal is to walk in that freedom and remain gracious and compassionate towards those who get mad at me. Blessed are you when they cast insults at you for my name’s sake – Matthew 5:11.

I dealt with other stuff…but the top thing that was so freeing was the revelation that I do not know the ‘Father’s Love’. God the Father. You see, God is 3 in 1 right? Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. I realized that I have a great relationship with Jesus. I talk to Him all day. I call on the Holy Spirit as well, all day. But to approach God as my Father? Yep, been missing that one.

See I grew up without my dad in the home. And that in itself is a chapter for another day. But because I didn’t have a dad to raise me, I have no idea what dads/fathers do to take care of their kids. I do not have something to associate God as a Father. A father was absent in my childhood, and the Father seems absent in my adulthood.

What was amazing was the next morning after the retreat; I ‘randomly’ opened up to Matthew 6 and read things like this:

·        …your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you – Matthew 6:4

·        …for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him. – Matthew 6:8

·        Pray, then, in this way: 'Our Father, who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. – Matthew 6:9

·        …your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. – Matthew 6:18

·        …your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. – Matthew 6:32

·        ..how much more will your Father who is in heaven give what is good to those who ask Him! – Matthew 7:11

Now, these verses are what I came across just by opening up my Bible on Sunday morning, imagine how much greater my picture of my heavenly Dad will be when I sit down to ‘study’. And I will, and am. I am on a mission to find out how the most perfect, amazing Dad is.

What I realized Sunday morning when I read these verses was that, I have read these before, but how amazing and good the Father truly is didn’t quite penetrate my heart. Through this retreat, the blinders were removed off my eyes to see that I didn’t see God as my Father, because I didn’t realize that I didn’t see Him as one….not because He hasn’t done a great job at being an awesome Father God to me, He’s perfect….He’s been doing His job. I just didn’t know what to look for in a father, so I’ve been missing it.

God comforted me with this verse, however: "I and the Father are one." – John 10:30. This was Jesus speaking. And see, I’ve always rocked with Jesus. He was the Son who died on the cross for my sins….my many, many sins. And for Him I am so grateful. But Jesus and the Father are one.

Perhaps a great starting point is to take the love that Jesus extends to me through His dying for me, as the gravity of the Father’s love. SACRIFICIAL LOVE. Do you know sacrificial love? Do you extend sacrificial love to your children?

See, my motivation to catch this greater, clearer vision of the Father’s love is to be able to understand it and then EXTEND IT TO MY KIDS! See, as parents, we set the pace of how our children will relate to God.

From my class, I learned these keys things about how our dads on earth paint the wrong picture of our Dad in heaven:

If we are performance-driven, rewarding only performance kind of parents, we will raise kids who are always ‘working for more love from God’. But we don’t have to work for God’s love. He loves us already. There is nothing we can do to make God love us more, and there is nothing we can do to make God love us less! Do we, as parents, love like God? Or do we require more performance from our kids for more love?

If we are absent parents, we will raise kids to not really see Father God. (Like I did.)  An absent father can be anything from a father who passed young and was unable to raise his kids, to the dead-beat abandoned-ship dad, to the absent-in-the-home dad. The dad who is there in the flesh, but absent emotionally, affectionately, and not giving of undivided attention. This is the workaholic dad too. If they are absent due to work, well, they are still absent, right? Father God is like this to these kids….I have said “I know Father God loves me”…but I have never had conversation with the Father, poured my heart out to Him directly…it’s always Jesus. (This is what I am on a mission to discover – the Omni-PRESENT FATHER God.)

If we are punitive, punishing, never satisfied, unreasonable parents, guess what? Our kids will grow up afraid of God. Not fearful, as the godly fear we read of in the Word, not the respect, revering due to awesomeness…but fear, as in wincing, afraid, scared to approach Father God.

I do not want to give my kids a misrepresentation of the Father God. But “wait Jen, you’re their mom” you say…I extend Father God to parents. Moms and dads will (unintentionally) misrepresent the Father, if they are unknowing to their Father God and His love.

See, I am on a mission to stop the Godless generation through my family line. I was not taught about God by my parents. I am doing the opposite:  I am teaching my kids about God now. And while I can try all day to convince them that ‘God loves them’, if my actions and example don’t say that, they too will grow up with a misunderstanding of the Father’s love.

So my devotional life is going on a journey to discover the Father’s love. The story that comes to mind is the story of the prodigal son, found in Luke 15:11. This is probably a great place to start for many of us who had unloving, absent, punishing parents. The father received the misbehaving son with love and grace, acceptance and joy.

I hope you enjoy the overflow of my discoveries through my posting on this blog. It’s going to be a great season of new life and growth with the Lord. I am so excited. God has been so gracious to teach me to hear His voice. And now, my relationship with God is going to grow even more…as I pursue Him and perceive Him as my Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment