Monday, April 8, 2013

Rambling Reflections from Cabin Fever

Heard a message yesterday on why as believers we need
This is a great image of the cabin I feel like I've been isolated
to this week...yes, old, shabby, amidst the misty woods.
But...hey, I'm alive & NOT crazy yet! ;) 
community...and why we are part of the church. As the pastor spoke, his words of 'you aren't meant to be in isolation' pierced my heart.


All too often I allow life to happen so much so that I become isolated from my friends and family. And then there are the times that I become isolated from life, like this week....

Interesting how dealing w/ sick family for 3 weeks really revives perspective. I am now convinced, I really run too many errands, I really don't have to do all the things I am convinced I have to...and that above all, my devotional life and family are still my main priorities.

And in the midst of my own horrible cold, I depended on the consistent deposits of my quiet time when I was physically unable to pull myself out of bed, or off the sofa to dig into the Word.

My husband told me multiple times this weekend, "I don't know how you do it...." And while coughing my own head off, spitting up yellow junk, blowing my nose constantly, and popping the pain relievers for aching head from cold/flu....

I thought to myself, "Do I have an option?"

See, I have 2 little boys that I intentionally stay home to care for. My husband is our sole financial provider. It works best this way. And even when I am sick, can my husband honestly wake up to care for my kids in the middle of the night when he must work the next day? Honestly?

And in light of pregnancy, giving birth, and recovering from that, a cold/flu is NOT worse, therefore, I can endure.

There are things in life that are optional. Things we devote our money to. Things we devote our time to. Things we devote our energy to. When it comes to the Lord and my family - those are my 2 most highest priorities, and devoting my time and energy to them is a must!

In saying that however, in this last week of not really leaving the house and having contact with the outside world, I realize that I have become isolated from life, people, and community.

Everything takes balance, time-management, and prioritizing. I often appreciate the times that illness strike because of the fresh perspective I get.

Sometimes life gets too comfortable, predictable, and routine, we need some adversity to appreciate the good, yet not so exciting times that life can bring.

One other thing that I faced this week....
the question of whether or not I spoil my boys waaaaaaay
too much when they are sick...

Although, when my husband was sick with his flu, I waited on him, served him meals in bed, kept the water and meds coming. Why would I not do the same for my little boys? See here, again, I am making deposits into their hearts when they need me the most. And hey, after two decades of this, I'm almost definite they will be committed to taking care of me when I'm 80ish.

But even more importantly, while, yes I am 'raising men'...I am also raising fathers, parents. It is my goal to be an example of sacrificial love and nurturing to them. Many adults these days don't depend on others because they grew up unable to depend on their own parents. It is my goal to not raise emotionally handicapped men. Issues are birthed out of children's physical needs not being met by their parents, ya know....look it up...all kinds of things documented on this kind of stuff...so I'll err on the side of doing my best and offering them my best too.

But isn't it my responsibility to care for my kids emotionally and physically? So then, is catering to their appetite when they haven't had one for 2 days really spoiling them, or providing for them?

I'm so turned off my emotionally handicapped people telling me how to be harder on my boys. Trust me, I am when the time is appropriate...but when they've been feverish, ill, bed-ridden/sofa-bound for a few days, I err on the side of grace and service.

God is love. And He is our example of love. Why are parents who sacrificially love their children with honest sincere love, not the
'stuff in place of affectionate love', but why are these parents picked on?

I want my boys to grow up to be so affectionate. Why? I am so tired of hearing women complain that their husbands are NOT affectionate. Why aren't they affectionate? They weren't raised to be. Simple as that. "I love yous", hugs, and kisses are exchanged throughout my home, DAILY. Affection is a very necessary thing to thrive you know. So then, why wouldn't give my kids everything they need to thrive????

Just some rambling to let some thoughts out of this head while I catch a break during a nap of the boys...do you reflect on things like this when you are isolated from the world during the cold/flu season???

.....til next time....God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment