Thursday, May 19, 2011

Budgeting Revisited!

I got some amazing feedback from some folks re: my post on PayDay = Budget Day. Well, it's nearing another pay day for us, time to bust out the calculator. But I thought I would check in to see how many of you have either gotten your written budget done or how many got the book of Dave Ramsey's ("Total Money Makeover")?

This stuff will change your life. Maybe before you're comfortable with writing out a budget, you need to face why you don't want to do it. I think that before I was on a 'written budget' I did okay w/ the money. However, I was uncomfortable with the thought of that immediate/microscropic accountability I thought I was going to be under with my husband. But, my assumption of what it would be like didn't happen.

I observed something this week in conversation with a friend, she feels like living on a budget makes her feel 'broke'. And she is not broke by any means. And so maybe for some, the word budget is controlling, takes away power, brings back memories of when you were broke....but a budget really gives you so much.

The end result of a budget will leave you with money to save, put toward retirement, pay off a big debt. That's sounds great, right? A budget will give boundaries for us to be good stewards of our money, that's great right? We will have to make wiser decisions at Target and we may have to decline a few lunches 'out'. But for some, this will ultimately please our spouses by having better spending habits and more money in the bank - WIN-WIN! And if you're single, more money in the bank = more security. That's what I always wanted when I was flying solo!

Is it difficult to give our money boundaries because we want everything we see? Should we get everything we see? We don't do that with our kids. We don't receive everything from the heavens above, so why should we satisfy our hunger for 'instant gratification' just because we have the cash?

Yesterday, I was at the store, and I need a clock. I want a chrome, shiny chrome one. I saw one that was kinda like what I wanted...but told myself, "no, I'll wait 'til pay day and put it in the budget". I realize that when it comes to stuff on the walls, an upgrade in clothes/shoes/purse/accessories, or toys/stuff for my kids - then they can wait until I budget it!

Maybe we can lasso in our impulsiveness by implementing a budget. I'm coming to an obvious conclusion here...managing/following a budget builds character. It creates humility (when you tell yourself or others no), it creates contentment (no, I don't need a 4th pair of black sandals), it creates self-control (who cares if this is on sale - I DON'T NEED IT!)  Read my post on the 'power of telling yourself no'. Try it, you might grow. ;)

A written budget will be good. Now, a budget does not mean that you can't ever buy any new clothes, plan for a bbq, go out of town. A budget is the place that you write in the dollar amount you will spend on that item/catagory. And be realistic. Don't budget $40 to go Pismo (that's just gas)...unless that's all you have and you pack a lunch to eat for free, then that's brilliant & have fun. But plan to spend another $20 on fish & chips if you have it. Really, you don't need a lot of money to have fun on (that's another day's post...hmmm). But put in a responsible amount into a catagory that you frequently spend in. You can live - when you are on a budget.

Try it. You will find that you have more money than you thought. You may even have some extra to give to the local Rescue Mission, charity. Check out PayDay = Budget Day Post. That's the one that really got people thinking. Email me at jennifermorin@beachbodycoach.com if you have trouble finding my list of catagories in original blog I refer to. Have fun budgeting!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment