Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Power of a Deadline

I like to talk about practical fitness, health tips on Tuesday. And so today I thought I would share a little about what's going on in my life this week, just to get the point across of my 'Tip for Tuesday'.

Let's rewind to September 2010. I had an 8 month old baby, and was stuck at 145-147 lbs. I looked okay (my husband said I looked great), but I wanted all the baby weight OFF. I was 137 when I got pregnant (after my first son) so why did I need to settle at that 145ish. I wanted my skinny jeans to fit...again.

So I committed to Turbo Kick instructor training the first week of December. Not because my #1 goal was to be a fitness instructor, but I needed a deadline for the weight to be off. And I had one when I registered for the training. Why did this work?

First, I didn't know what to expect, so I worked out hard so that I would have enough stamina to last the day at the training. Second, I wanted to look 'the part' as a Turbo Kick Instructor. Plus, I wanted my form and technique near perfect if not. This meant I did every Turbo Jam dvd that I could get my hands on. And I worked out 5 days/week for 3 months solid, watching what I ate, crazy extreme lean.

The day I left for Laguna Hills, I was 133 - 4 lbs. below my goal weight. I had lost 13 lbs. in that 3 month period of working out 5 days/week & counting my calories. When I returned home from that ONE-day training, I was actually 131.5 lbs.

Now, I didn't quite stay there, that was some intense working out...but it got me to my goal of 'prior to 2nd pregnancy weight'.

Fast forward to June 1st, an opportunity for a deadline came up. So as much as I can with my 2 little ones, the youngest is now 18 mos. and gets into everything or just simply disappears...I have been working out pretty intensely, not quited the: 'never miss a workout' schedule, but I'm fitting in crazy cardio.

I was up to the 136 lb. mark a few weeks ago...and I was so mad. I hate letting the scale tick upward. It can maintain at 134 and I'm fine, but those 2 lbs. are  not welcomed. So what's my deadline now?

A corporate Beachbody Coach training is this week. I just decided on June 3rd, 11 days ago that I wanted to go. My husband said "okay, go & have fun"...and then momma looked at the scale & said, "I've got a mission with a deadline".

Monday, I was 134 on the scale. (Just about 11 days of focus stripped nearly 2 lbs. off.) To get 1 or 2 more lbs. off, I'm trying a little 'restricted regimen' this week. We'll see how that works out. Which, in 1 day....I've dropped 3 lbs. The scale said '131' this morning! UNBELIEVABLE! I swear, if you want proof, I'll take a pic of the scale w/ my feet on it.

But this is exactly what I needed: a deadline to get me focused. It was easy to get focused on this one, avid P90Xers will be everywhere at this training day. I'm praying to meet Chalene Johnson, she's seriously amazing, positive, and encouraging beyond the sweatin' workouts. Looking forward to it for sure. I do look back and wish I hadn't missed the few workouts I could've tried harder to get in. But I'll chalk it up.

Lesson here: Work out hard every day that you can so that when your opportunity to meet fitness celebrities comes up...You're already in the best shape of your life. No crazy, last chance, carb depletion, double sessions to fit in to our already crazy busy days to look our best....Right?

So what can you do? What can you sign up for to push you to work out and get in shape & look your best?

Find something and email me w/ the goal and the deadline and I'll put it on my calendar. Deal?

No comments:

Post a Comment