Wednesday, November 23, 2011

How many calories is in that Thanksgiving dinner????

Big day tomorrow, right? Full of family, football, and food. And food is one of my favorite topics to discuss right? It just wouldn't be 'normal' for me to NOT have a commentary, words of warning, and encouragement for this day before us.

So for my own knowledge, I thought I would research the calorie content in the food that will be available tomorrow for Thanksgiving feasts.

My intentions are to inform you and help you make healthful decisions...even on Thanksgiving. I am not a fan of overindulgence, anytime.
I always ask the question:
Why do we make gluttons of ourselves on holidays?

So to help talk you out of that common practice, I've created a quick list of the most common foods seen on the Thanksgiving spread with a calorie count per item. In looking at the numbers, hopefully you will be picky and choosey of the foods you just gotta have tomorrow. Some we can all pass on...like a roll. Who needs to waste 100 calories on a roll, when you can 1/2 cup of green bean casserole for just a little more calories, right?

Here's what will be on our plates tomorrow:
  • Turkey: Breast - 3 oz.: 135           
  • Turkey: Dark Meat - 3.5 oz.: 187
  • Stuffing (Bread Stuffing) - 1/2 cup: 410
  • Candied Yams - 1/2 cup: anywhere from 170-500
  • Mashed Potatoes - 1/2 cup: anywhere from 75-200
  • Gravy - 1/2 cup: 99
  • Green Bean Casserole - 1/2 cup: 140
  • Roll - 1: 100-130
  • Cranberry Sauce - 1/4 cup: 110
  • Pumpkin Pie (from Costco) 1/12 of pie: 310
  • Chocolate Cream Pie w/ Meringue topping: 317
  • Wine - 6 oz: Red: 125                        White (Riesling)- 5 oz: 118
So let's say, you have 1/2 cup of each of the sides that will be served up tomorrow + 6 oz. of turkey breast (who eats just 3 oz.?)..plus 1 slice of Costco's famous pumpkin pie...and let's say you enjoy a glass of wine during or after (which is common practice for many)....

ONE serving of each above
(except dbl the turkey breast)
equals a grand total of: 1,829 calories!!!! 

There you have it folks...now, take that number & double it if you have seconds of each thing....or you go to two different dinners. Wowwweee! Right? Who knew?

This is why I said in my FB video the other day re: Thanksgiving to just skip the roll. That's an easy way to deduct 100 calories. Skip the pie, save 300+ calories, cut your servings of yams & stuffing from 1/2 to 1/4 cup of each and you shaved about 400 calories off....what else? Who cares for mashed potatoes & gravy...you can have that anytime of year...cut that off the list and now you've enjoyed a reasonable Thanksgiving dinner for about 1,109 calories. That's still a ton...but nearly 1/2 of what you would've originally eaten.

What am I eating?

I will be eating the following:
  • 8 oz. of turkey breast (I fill up on lean meat): 337
  • Butternut squash 1/2 cup: 40-60
  • Green Beans (w/out Mushroom soup) 1 cup: 40ish
  • Cranberry Sauce - ??? Making my own, let's say: 50
Grand Total for my meal:  487

That's a little more than I would like for 1 meal, but hey - it's the holiday!

The sides above on my list,
I am making at home & here's how:
  1. Butternut squash - chop up squash, coat w/ spray butter, toss in stevia, nutmeg, & cinnamon & roast in oven, 375ish for 45 min. - 1 hr.
  2. Green Beans - Petite green beans + chicken broth + finely chopped lean ham + finely chopped onion, baked in oven, along w/ squash, 'til tender.
  3. Cranberry Sauce - Fresh cranberries, following recipe on back of bag, however, substituting stevia for the sugar. (We'll see how this turns out....I llllllllllooooooooovvvve cranberry sauce on my turkey!)
I hope you appreciate this...I just want you to be informed of what you're putting in your body and how to substitute some typical dishes w/ healthier, less calorie options! So imagine if you prepared your own side dishes (easy way to get rid of the sugar & butters & creams)...and you worked out - Guilt-free holiday!!!!

HAVE A HEALTHY - HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment