Saturday, December 3, 2011

My Recent Delicious Soup Recipes

'Tis the season to simmer some soups on the stove top to warm up the kitchen...and help control calories.

Yes, this is the time of year many can pack on some pounds. With cookies, gingerbread men, shopping and eating out, Christmas parties w/ cupcakes, it's no wonder that some can put on 5-10 lbs. during November & December.

However, it doesn't have to be this way. I am finding a way to keep my meals at home filling and healthy. Here are 4 soups we've enjoyed in the last 2 weeks.

And P.S.: I always make enough to have for leftovers for a few days...or freeze 1/2 to enjoy later.

Turkey Bean Soup - This was an alternative to the chicken tortilla soup when I had leftover turkey from Thanksgiving.

Recipe: Shredded-up turkey (as much as you want, the more the meat, the meatier and more filling the soup). Simmered in 6 cups chicken broth (homemade or giant can is fine). Add frozen or fresh corn, as much as you want. Let cook until corn is tender. Add 2 cans of pinto beans, 2 cans of refried beans, and 2 cans of stewed tomatoes (w/ chili peppers for spicy soup). Cook until all is hot and serve up.

If you're watching calories, use less beans & more poultry breast. If you love tomatoes, add more. But this is what I threw in the large stock pot. My 4 yr. old loves this so I skip on adding peppers, but if you like hot, use any you love.

Traditional Cabbage Veggie Soup - This is what I use when I'm getting the scale to tick down. I advise this one for folks who want a cleanse & don't want to spend the money on one. This soup plus a good serving of nonfat/plain greek yogurt sometime in the day should get things moving for ya! ;)

Recipe: In this order, I add the veggies to piping hot chicken broth: onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, cabbage, and then stewed/diced tomatoes. Let it all simmer 'til all is tender. I add the hardest veggies first so that by the time I get the cabbage chopped, they are nearly done and my cabbage doesn't have to disintergrate to mush. Season w/ garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper.

We like to add diced up chicken to the top of this soup, or some cooked, ground turkey (measured out).


The GREEN STUFF - I came up with this soup last week when I wondered what just having green veggies together would taste like...plus I thought it would be real simple.

Recipe: All simmered in chicken broth....Onion, 4 garlic cloves, zucchini (7 of them), a whole celery bunch, and 1 1/2 head of cabbage. The seasoning that set it off was this "Montreal Steak" made by McCormick I picked up from the grocery store. I accidently dumped a ton of it in there, so it was too spicy for the boys (it has black & red pepper in it).

My favorite part was when Dave looked at the bowl of 'green stuff' and said, "You're feeding me that?"  I told him that he was in for a surprise...and he was. He had 3 bowls the first night it was served up!

Low-Cal Shrimp Soup - Today's invention that I put together by looking at a variety of asian shrimp soup recipes was the following...

Recipe: 2 large cans of chicken broth (12 cups of it), 2 bundles of green onions, 5 cucumbers (skin shaved & quatered), celery bunch, and 1 head of napa cabbage & a couple of cans of water chestnuts. The store I was at did not have 'baby bok choy' - I will try this next time. After all the veggies cooked a bit, I added 1 lb. of chopped shrimp. Could've used more, I will double the meat for this next time. Dumped salt, a bit of pepper, onion powder, and parsley flakes in it.

Low-cal Shrimp Soup

Once the soup was done, I served it up and added some soy sauce to it. Yummy. Then I served up a second bowl and added some Franks Red Hot Sauce to it. And then my 3rd bowl had soy sauce and the hot sauce. Yummy! I ate that at 2:30 this afternoon...and I am still full.

Basically, my take on soups have been: whatever veggies seem to go together, I throw 'em in a lg. pot of chicken broth, add some spices and voila - low-cal side!

They are so easy, the time is spent chopping. Some things can be purchased in a can or frozen to save time there.

Be creative in the kitchen, cook your meals at home & your family will be healthier & love you for it!

P.S. If you come up w/ a healthy soup...email me the recipe at: flexyourselfjen@yahoo.com so that I can try it! I love eating healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment